Copy of AmeriCorps Program
Southwest Key is proud to partner with National Council of La Raza (NCLR) to bring AmeriCorps members to Austin, Texas. This national service program at Southwest Key strengthens the abilities and opportunities of Latinos in Hispanic communities through the development and implementation of literacy enhancement.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The AmeriCorps program supports Southwest Key's mission of opening doors to opportunity so individuals can achieve their dreams. Through their work, AmeriCorps members impact individuals and the greater community.
Inspire & Support Individual Academic Success:
Members serve at East Austin College Prep, a Southwest Key partner charter school, to provide much needed tutorial assistance in the area of literacy for students, grades 2-6, both in school and out of school. As a Southwest Key AmeriCorps member, you will have the opportunity to work in partnership with teachers to deliver impactful lessons, mentor students in an individual or group setting, and support student learning across all grade levels. Through these efforts, you will help create a culture of student achievement at East Austin College Prep.
Develop & Lead Community Change:
Members have the opportunity to impact beyond the individual to cohorts, classrooms, and the greater community. Through East Austin Children’s Promise programs like adult basic education, youth service-learning, or community engagement, members can create and implement programs that meet real needs in East Austin.
APPLY HERE TODAY!
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS AmeriCorps members receive a monthly stipend that amounts to $20,200 for the year. Members receive monthly reimbursements for their health care coverage. Upon completion of their service of 1700 hours, members receive an AmeriCorps Educational Award of $5000 to pay off existing loans or pay for future tuition expenses.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Over the course of your 1-year AmeriCorps membership, you’ll develop transferable skills that are needed in education, communities, the public sector and beyond:
- Project management
- Facilitative & Instructional skills
- Community organizing
- Non-profit collaboration
- Youth development & mentoring experience
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Southwest Key and East Austin College Prep Academy
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Exceptional organization and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Previous experience as a volunteer in a community organization and/or school setting
- Dependability and punctuality and ability to adhere to deadlines
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and the Internet
- Team player and willing to take on multiple tasks at once, requiring minimal supervision
As a Southwest Key AmeriCorps member, you will be given the tools to strengthen and impact youth and adults in the East Austin community while growing your skill set. Join the more than 80,000 members currently serving and the 800,000 AmeriCorps alumni who have already impacted countless individuals in communities across the country.