AmeriCorps Jobs At Southwest Key Programs
Southwest Key is proud to partner with OneStar Foundation to bring AmeriCorps VISTA members to our program. Through Southwest Key’s East Austin Children’s Promise initiative, Americorps VISTA members will serve full-time for a one-year term to help strengthen, expand and increase the capacity of Southwest Key Programs to help low-income and first-generation students and their families overcome immediate barriers, be ready for, and succeed in postsecondary education.
The postsecondary education attainment rates among low-income students and students of color are significantly lower than those of other students. It's crucial that students and families in East Austin, who often fall into these categories, feel that they have a place in college. Through the East Austin Children’s Promise initiative, Southwest Key Programs is creating a college-bound culture, and partnering with other East Austin schools to circulate this culture throughout the community.
Utilizing research-based, instructional, enrichment, and college readiness activities, VISTA members will help promote a college-bound culture in East Austin that includes self-sufficiency and financial autonomy. Through AmeriCorps VISTA, Southwest Key seeks to demonstrate that college is for everyone, college is a necessity, and college is a public good.
Two Southwest Key AmeriCorps VISTA positions are available:
Writing Center Developer VISTA
Build a school district-wide writing center by conducting a comprehensive needs assessment, researching best practices and engaging stakeholder support to develop the student-led writing center, recruit student leaders, and develop program capacity. The VISTA will also refine the program model, monitor data, track outcomes, and write grants to sustain the program.
Contact Name: Tasha Banks
Mailing Address: 6002 Jain Lane, Austin, TX 78721
College Completion Developer VISTA
Provide comprehensive support and resources to first-generation college students, in addition to creating a community of support through family engagement and mentorship programming
Contact Name: Kristan Silva
Mailing Address: 6002 Jain Lane Austin, TX 78721
Find out more about AmeriCorps VISTA through OneStar Foundation here.
- If moving more than 50 miles for VISTA service VISTA would receive a Relocation $.34 per mile traveled allowance and a Settling In allowance= of $550
- Living allowance of $1108 a month (in Austin) – This changes per county
- Access to the AmeriCorps VISTA Healthcare Program
- A childcare allowance, if eligible
- 10 Paid vacation and 10 paid sick leave days
- Student loan deferment/forbearance on qualified federal student loans
Post-service benefits include:
- Interest paid on qualified federal student loans by the National Trust
- Choice of $5,815 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a $1,500 end-of-service stipend
- One year of non-competitive eligibility for a federal government positions
Interested in AmeriCorps in East Austin? Check out our 2013-2016 Southwest Key AmeriCorps Program in partnership with National Council of La Raza.